Upholstered furniture is very comfortable. It’s so nice to sit on the couch and spend time quietly reading a book, watching a series or something else. Unfortunately, over time, furniture upholstery wears out and loses its attractiveness. And if pets or children of different ages live in the house, the process is greatly accelerated. To make furniture last longer, you need to choose a special upholstery fabric. Let’s figure out what anti-vandal fabric is for a sofa and what to consider when choosing it.
Listed in the video are the names of durable upholstery
All about anti-vandal upholstery
What it is
– Woven textiles
Features of care for special fabrics
What is anti-vandal fabric for furniture upholstery
The name «anti-vandal» explains that the material has increased resistance to destruction. This is a very durable fabric: it is extremely difficult to tear or pull threads out of textiles, as animals often do when sharpening their claws. But the skin suffers not only from the sharp teeth and claws of pets. It is spoiled by stains of various origins: from ordinary dirt to marks from felt-tip pens or paints. Such pollution is not uncommon in a home with children.
Anti-vandal materials are impregnated with special solutions that repel dirt and prevent it from penetrating into the structure of the threads. In addition, such textiles are easy to clean. If a trace of dirty paws or paints remains somewhere, it is easy enough to clean it with the most ordinary soapy water. The manufacturer additionally protects textiles from abrasion. Therefore, the sheathing easily tolerates intensive use and does not lose its attractive appearance.
Anti-vandal wallpaper: a guide for those looking for a durable finish
Varieties of anti-vandal materials
The category of such materials includes different textiles. Depending on the base, anti-vandal fabric for furniture is divided into two categories.
On a non-woven basis
This category includes fabrics made by gluing and spraying fibers. Most often these are three-layer materials. The first layer is the base on which the adhesive coating is applied. Finely chopped fiber is applied to it. Depending on the quantity and length, it forms a pile coating of different textures. In any case, they get a strong upholstery that cannot be pierced with claws or threads pulled out of it. Let us characterize several types of such textiles.
A thick layer of soft pile is sprayed onto a solid base made of polyester or cotton. Because of this, it is sometimes confused with velor. But they are completely different fabrics. Rubber is used as an adhesive layer. In addition, the flock is additionally treated with Teflon. All this greatly increases its durability.
- Increased strength and resistance to abrasion, cuts, scratches.
- Good water resistance. Spots that have not been dry-cleaned can be removed with soapy water.
- Low sensitivity to heat. When heated, the material does not deform.
- Alcohol-containing liquids and pure alcohols destroy the adhesive layer and hopelessly spoil the flock.
- Strongly electrified, attracts dust.
A layer of isoprene is applied to a mixed base of polyester and cotton, on which a polyamide pile is sprayed. The pile layer is treated with carbon fiber according to the AntiStain system, which prolongs its service life and protects the upholstery from dirt. There are several types of relaxation: luxury, eureka, joy, etc. They differ in the length and density of the pile, the texture of the surface.
- Good elasticity. Isoprene helps to quickly regain shape, so textiles do not deform.
- The coating does not form puffs, does not peel, does not deteriorate from moderate heat.
- Easy cleaning.
- High price.
3. Faux suede
Textile non-woven type with a cotton-polyamide base and a small pile of polyester. Must be treated with Teflon impregnation. The pile layer is low, outwardly artificial suede almost does not differ from natural.
- Durability. Lasts at least 10-15 years.
- Resistant to various types of damage, in particular, cuts, punctures, scratches. Pets cannot dig their claws into artificial turf.
- Low moisture resistance. Stains cannot be washed with detergents. Only dry or dry cleaning is allowed.
The right upholstery: how to choose fabric for a sofa
On a woven basis
This textile is made by weaving threads. The quality and thickness of the threads, the method of weaving them differ. The result is a durable canvas that is not sensitive to the claws of animals. They manage to stick them into the material, but they cannot pull out or damage thick threads. Dirt-repellent and antistatic qualities are given by various impregnations.
The peculiarity of this furniture fabric is the quality of the thread from which it is woven. A strong smooth thread is tightly twisted with a fluffy one. They are made of natural or artificial fibers, different thicknesses and colors. Depending on this, upholstery material of various thicknesses and densities is obtained. For anti-vandal chenille, thick threads are used. Additionally, it is treated with special impregnations.
- Increased wear resistance and density.
- The coating is not prone to fading. The color stays for a very long time.
- Elasticity, good shape retention.
- Low water resistance. Only dry cleaning is possible.
High-tech fabric made from the finest threads. They are made from polyamide and polyester fibers. A special weaving technique and additional impregnation improve the anti-vandal characteristics of microfiber.
- Durability. Ceteris paribus, it will last 5-7 years longer than any other upholstery.
- Increased wear resistance, resistance to mechanical stress.
- Does not peel, does not shed, has an antiseptic effect. Very pleasant to the touch.
- Limited number of colors, only smooth texture.
3. Scotchgard jacquard fabric
Fabric made of thick threads with a jacquard weave, covered with a special layer of «scotchgard». Jacquard is created using complex weaving of threads, most often of different colors, as a result of which a pattern is formed on the surface.
- Wear resistance and density, thanks to which the jacquard is resistant to mechanical damage.
- The scotchguard layer protects against water and dirt.
- Easy care: when a stain appears, just rub it with soapy water.
- Jacquard is difficult to process, so furniture with such upholstery is more expensive.
Upholstery fabric with a cross weave, which results in ornamental or plot compositions. This is a very dense two- or three-layer textile. To improve performance, the tapestry can be treated with various impregnations.
- High density and wear resistance.
- Good elasticity, does not stretch or deform.
- UV resistant. The material does not burn out for a long time.
- Difficulties in care. Wet cleaning is not recommended.
How to clean sofa upholstery at home
Useful recommendations for choosing anti-vandal furniture fabric
To keep your favorite furniture in perfect condition for as long as possible, you need to choose the right upholstery textiles. We have compiled a selection of useful tips on this topic.
- If a pet lives in the apartment, or even several, the best choice is anti-claw upholstery. It can be flock, relax or faux suede. The structure of this anti-vandal fabric for a sofa from cats does not allow the claws to penetrate the cover. Therefore, clues do not appear. But even if a particularly stubborn cat still manages to make a few pieces, they will be invisible on a velvety surface.
- When choosing furniture upholstery for a nursery, you should look at jacquard like «scotchgard» or flock. They are bright, pleasant to the touch and soft. It is not difficult to clean such a coating from various contaminants that are not uncommon in a nursery.
- Upholstery fabric for furniture, which is used very often, can also be vandal-proof. For example, flock, scotchgard jacquard or tapestry is suitable for a sofa in the hall or in the living room. An armchair, a sofa or an ottoman by the bed are covered with microfiber. They are beautiful and easy to care for.
Features of care
Despite the increased wear resistance, special fabrics need proper care. Otherwise, the fiber becomes unusable, the fabric loses its softness and attractive appearance. We list the basic rules that cannot be violated.
- The cleaning agent is chosen taking into account the composition and production technology of the canvas. So, alcohol-containing liquids are “contraindicated” for flock, chenille “does not like” wet cleaning, etc. A conscientious manufacturer indicates the features of upholstery care in the accompanying documentation.
- The selected preparation should be tested on an inconspicuous area, only then apply it to clean the entire product. Otherwise, you can irreparably damage the product, and reupholstering a sofa, for example, is quite comparable in cost to buying new furniture.
- It is best to use dry stain removers or aerosols to clean anti-claw linens. The active foam that comes out of the sprayer turns into powder some time after application. In doing so, it destroys the mud stain. After cleaning, the remaining powder can be easily removed with a vacuum cleaner.
- Removable covers can be washed. The washing mode is selected depending on the composition of the fiber. So, artificial velor, for example, is washed in cool water, and natural matting can be washed at a temperature of 50-60 ° C.
In order not to have to resort to drastic measures, it is important to keep the upholstery clean. To do this, it is regularly vacuumed, removing accumulated dust and small debris from the canvas, and especially from the pile. If spots suddenly appear, the easiest way is to remove fresh pollution. In this case, most often it will be enough to rub it with a sponge dipped in soapy water. Just remember that the sponge should be slightly damp. Excess water can ruin the upholstery, leaving behind ugly stains. For non-water resistant coatings, it is best to use an aerosol or dry stain remover.