It is she who creates the first impression of the house. Sets the tone and mood. Acquaints with the taste of the owners. It’s about the entrance area. Therefore, it is so important to carefully work out its design. In this article, we will tell you everything about how to decorate a bright hallway and show photos of successful projects.
We decorate the hallway in bright colors
Pros and cons
Choosing colors and shades
Hallway in bright colors: pros and cons
Before deciding on such a design, you need to weigh all the pros and cons of this idea. And not abstractly, but in relation to a specific situation.
Light colors are a good choice for small spaces without daylight. They visually expand the space, add «air».
- White or beige is a great neutral background. Do not hesitate when choosing the color of furniture and decor. Almost any shades will look good, including contrasting ones.
- Psychological comfort. Such rooms are perceived by most people more positively than dark ones. Here the mood improves, there is a surge of strength and energy.
- Versatility and relevance. Bright shades quickly lose their relevance. This season, navy blue may be in fashion. And in the next already saturated green or deep black. Light colors always look stylish, fashion does not work for them. And the design of a bright hallway in an apartment can be done in almost any style: from classic to minimalism.
- Many people find light colors impractical. They show more dirt. And in the hallway to avoid dirt is quite difficult. Especially if the family is large, there are children and pets.
- Using an exceptionally pale range, it is easy to get a boring and flat interior. To prevent this from happening, you need to use different tones and shades, as well as various textures.
How designers decorate hallways in their apartments: 5 examples from the pros
A monochrome interior is a space decorated in the same color, but using different shades. The dominant color can be white, beige, gray, pale blue, bleached pink. And their shades, darker or lighter, warm or cold, are used as additional ones: in furniture, decor, partially finishing.
By choosing monochrome, there is a risk of creating a boring and flat space. We have already said that this can be avoided by using different textures and materials. For example, combine the texture of wood, stone, textiles, matte and glossy surfaces in one room.
The hallway may not be white or decorated exclusively in beige tones.
You can use several muted, «dusty» pastel shades. As a rule, almost all of them, due to tenderness and freshness, go well with each other.
What are these colors? Dusty pink, mint, peach, sky blue, pale gray and others.
Light base and contrast
Another win-win way to design a spectacular interior is to use a neutral dominant color and complement it with a bright, contrasting shade.
In the corridor, such a detail, for example, can be a pouf, carpet or accessory. Since the light base is universal, almost any shade will work as a contrast. The main thing is to keep a balance and not overload the space with bright details. For a small corridor, only 1-2 such elements will be enough.
Entrance hall in Khrushchev: design tips and 6 real examples
The hallway is a special place. This is where dirt from the street gets in. And this is not only sand or earth, but also water that we bring on shoes, outerwear or umbrellas. Especially during the slush and rainy season. Therefore, all finishing materials for the hallway must be reliable, durable, easy to clean, not afraid of moisture and resistant to damage. What materials are suitable?
- Tiles and porcelain tiles. These are the undisputed leaders in finishing the floor in the corridor. They are the ones chosen most often. And no wonder. Stone and ceramics are really not afraid of dirt or dampness. They are easy to clean, you can use almost any cleaning products. For a space in light colors, you can choose marble or wood effect porcelain stoneware.
- Quartz vinyl. This flooring is becoming popular. Why? It feels like laminate to the touch. Outwardly, it can imitate both wood and stone. At the same time, it is resistant to damage and is not afraid of water.
- Moisture-resistant laminate is also often used in hallways. Today, this coating is produced in a variety of textures and colors.
What material is better to make the floor in the hallway: 6 possible options
- Dye. One of the easiest solutions. It is worth choosing reliable, durable and sustainable washable options.
- Wallpaper. It is better if they are without a pronounced relief, rather dense, with a washable coating.
Decorative plaster. One of the most durable materials. He is not afraid of almost no damage. In addition, it can be washed. One of the modern varieties of decorative plaster is microcement or microconcrete. This is a coating that mimics a «bare» concrete surface.
Wall decoration options in the hallway: 10 best materials and design features
In the corridor, it is better to avoid complex, multi-tiered, heavy structures. They will only overload the interior of a small space.
A laconic white ceiling will look best. It can be paint, whitewash or stretch matte canvas. But sometimes the ceiling can play the role of contrast and make the space more interesting and non-standard.
How to decorate the ceiling in the hallway: 3 modern options
In the hallway, you need at least a minimal set of furniture: a wardrobe for outerwear and shoes and a pouffe or bench. It is better if the cabinet is decorated in the color of the walls. But the pouf can just be accented in the neutral zone, as we wrote above.
If space allows, you can add open hangers, a shoe rack, a storage unit, a wall table, or a console.
Many open shelves are best avoided: dust will accumulate on them, and there will also be a temptation to leave house and car keys, small coins, wallets, documents, and so on in a conspicuous place. The end result will be a sense of chaos.
Facades for furniture are better to choose smooth to facilitate cleaning. And, of course, from materials that are resistant to moisture and dirt.
To visually increase the length and width of the room, not overload it, choose built-in furniture. It leaves the impression of free space. Sometimes special corner designs allow you to save space.
Options for filling the closet in the hallway: useful tips and 76 photos
Working on the design of the hallway in an apartment in bright colors is the case when it is better not to abuse the decor.
A small bouquet of dried flowers and a mirror are enough, you can add a picture or a poster. The abundance of decor in a compact corridor will only create visual noise, and the owners of the apartment will add difficulties with cleaning.
Like a living room: 10 wow hallway ideas that will make it look chic
Despite the fact that the corridor is not a residential, but an office space, you should not ignore it. As in other rooms, here you can make several light scenarios. Firstly, it is beautiful, adds comfort and emphasizes style. And secondly, it’s convenient.
The choice of ceiling lighting depends on the height of the ceiling and the size of the hallway. If both are quite modest, it may be better to abandon the traditional chandelier. A good choice is built-in ceiling lights, spots or tracks. If you still want a chandelier, it is better to choose overhead models.
As an additional scenario, you can use wall sconces or table lamps. In the first case, it is better to choose those that will not interfere with the passage. After all, most of the corridors are quite narrow. Therefore, sconces should not protrude far from the walls. It is also better to provide walk-through switches: they will allow you to turn on or turn off the light both at the front door and at the opposite end of the corridor.
How to do it right: we plan the light in the corridor and hallway
Light shades will be appropriate in many interior styles.
- For example, it can be a classic-style entrance hall in light colors, neoclassical style. They are characterized by restraint, elegance and some conservatism.
- Minimalism and a light palette make up a guaranteed winning tandem. This style is characterized by a minimum of decor, details, clean, straight lines.
- By far, the most obvious solution is a bright scandi-style corridor. For him, white and its shades are the main, key color. Such interiors are distinguished by practicality, functionality along with comfort, abundance of air and lightness.
- In a similar range, you can arrange a corridor in a loft style. For example, if you use pale gray microcement or bleached brick, wood.
And, of course, a bright hallway in a modern style will look harmonious.