The safety of driving in winter conditions requires high-quality tire equipment. We have selected the best tire options for performance, workmanship and test drives.
Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 – Velcro
The non-studded model is designed for passenger cars. Products have 55 standard sizes. The design is developed using innovative technologies, equipped with a directional pattern. Grip is carried out by claws.
Protectors tightly and reliably contact with an icy surface, slippery waterway. This is achieved through special sipes built into the tread block.
They absorb liquid like a pump, traction increases. It is worth noting that the steering wheel is controlled more efficiently due to the lamella activators.
The back of the tire blocks contains grooves that serve against slush. The melted snow breaks, the sharp ends of the claws dig into the surface. Microscopic particles of the rubber compound increase wear resistance.
They are distributed over the entire tread depth. As tires wear, the following particles appear. Course stability is achieved by a rigid central rib.
Thus, the service life of the product is extended, since the central part is erased first.
- Fuel economy.
- The car ride is quiet and smooth.
- Acceleration, braking, direction of the course differ in acceptable indicators.
- Ultra high comfort.
- Suitable for areas with changeable weather.
- Fuel economy.
- Increased driving safety.
- Ride comfort.
- Controllability on any surface.
- The cost is expensive.
- The steering wheel turns on a deep track.
- Control difficulties during active maneuvers on asphalt.
- Reduced brake performance on paved surfaces.
- Heading is stable.
- Brakes quickly.
- Good handling on unpaved roads.
- Minimum stopping distance.
- High permeability.
- Grip on ice and packed snow.
- Tires keep the trajectory when cornering.
- Profile height 30.
- Diameter 20.
- Width 285.
- Wheel load 99.
- Speed index R.
- Season winter.
Bridgestone Blizzak VRX – no spikes
Rubber compound Multi-Cell Compoud. Movement on ice does not cause slipping, as the tire is covered with microscopic pores, which are in closer contact with the slippery surface.
As the tire passes through water, the pores fill with water, absorbing it. Rubber manufacturing technology involves the use of a hydrophilic coating, which increases the absorbent properties. Therefore, the brake works more actively.
The tread pattern is represented by an asymmetric arrow pattern. This improves snow flotation by providing even traction. Special grooves are arranged crosswise and capture the snow.
The increased number of intersections helps to self-clean during rotation. Over time, the coating is erased, new micropores open, which keep the rubber soft. The effect is enough for 4 seasons.
- Decreases sway.
- The strong sidewall allows to move on holes.
- Does not create noise.
- Long service life.
- Reduced fuel consumption.
- The car slows down faster.
- You should drive more carefully than on spikes.
- Not suitable for positive temperatures on asphalt. The car is difficult to drive.
- Smooth behavior of the car during drifts.
- The new tread improves traction.
- Manageability is improved.
- Efficient movement on snowy terrain.
- Tire diameters from 13 to 19.
- Profile 175-275 wide, 35-70 mm high.
- Speed maximum 180 km / h.
- Load capacity 900 kg.
- The structure is radial.
Nokian WR SUV 3 – for SUVs
The tread pattern is aimed at improving the car’s handling, reducing the braking distance in extreme situations. Transverse and longitudinal recesses increase the speed of water drainage when melted snow emerges.
The grooves are equipped with snow claws that cling to the surface while driving on snow or ice. The rigidity of the tread is given by closing three-dimensional sipes, so the car is stable during high-speed maneuvers.
Innovative technology – the use of indicators of the degree of tread wear. In the center of the product is a special millimeter indicator that measures the tread depth. The last digit indicates how much is left before complete wear.
The safety of maneuvering during showers is ensured by pushing liquid and dirt from under the wheels with open grooves between the ribs on the sides.
Innovative technologies have been used in product development, which guarantees precise control and durability, regardless of the type of road.
Rubber contains silicon dioxide, which increases the reliability and grip on the road surface. Rapeseed oil has also been added for environmental friendliness, reduced fuel consumption and increased rubber durability.
- Effective braking on winter surfaces.
- Resistant to hydroplaning, slushplaning.
- Increased steering sensitivity is provided by dual sections of the central part.
- Comfort and safety.
- Pleasant driving experience.
- The stepped placement of the protrusions improves the vehicle’s ride on dry surfaces.
- The grooves are not clogged with stones, they are cleaned of dirt on their own.
- Quiet ride.
- Turning is easy, no skidding.
- Excellent course stability.
- Confident braking.
- Be careful on ice with water.
- High price.
- Warm-up time is required for effective operation.
- Good flotation through deep snow.
- Designed for driving on slush.
- Movement on snow slush.
- Handling on wet pavement.
- There are no spikes.
- Size range 37 sizes.
- Profile height 65%.
- Diameters 15-21 inches.
- Width indicator 215 mm.
- The season is winter.
Goodyear UltraGrip Ice Arctic – studded
The purpose of the rubber is to use it for arctic snow and ice. The basis for the manufacture of tires is the company’s MultiControl Ice technology, which increases contact with the surface.
The carbide insert is built into the body in a triangle. Excess metal was removed from it.
The triangular spike is different in that the upper sharp edges increase acceleration and grip. Lateral acceleration uses smooth transitions, while braking is achieved by the back side of the steel tooth.
The spikes are firmly glued, and do not loosen over time. They are arranged in 22 rows evenly around the perimeter of the tread.
In the manufacture of tires, another technology was used – interlocking checkers. It strikes a balance between performance and driving comfort.
The tread pattern is traditionally V-shaped with wave sipes. Inside – waffle engagement and drainage grooves to drain water and melted snow.
Movement in deep snow is facilitated by shoulder blocks, recesses in the shoulder area.
- Uniform distribution of pressure.
- Relatively low cost.
- Prolonged wear.
- Minimum braking distance on a snow-packed street.
- Wet or dry asphalt pass with dignity.
- Elasticity of rubber at sub-zero temperatures.
- The snowy terrain is great.
- Sharp unpredictable breakdowns when sliding on stained-glass windows.
- Noise while driving.
- Stable control, resistance to aqua swimming.
- Confident behavior on melted snow.
- Raking properties on loose snow.
- Tires are designed for driving in the city or the countryside.
- Snow handling.
- They drive confidently on an icy road.
- Spikes in the amount of 100 pieces are arranged in 20 rows.
- Spike protrusion 1.1 mm.
- Speed index – T.
- Manufacturer – Poland.
Toyo Observe G3-Ice – with microstuds
The model represents a product developed using a special technology for the manufacture of studded tires. The composition of the rubber compound includes walnut shell particles.
It is the combination of natural microstuds and ordinary ones that gives performance in the grip and braking parameters of the car. A special pattern is made symmetrically, removes liquid and slush from under the wheels.
The tread is formed by 24 lines of directional design. In the center is a rib that performs the option of improving grip. The directional tread pattern, optimized by the arrangement of the studs, improves braking on ice and snow.
The edges of the tire are made in the form of a gear for improved grip, the spike looks like a star inside, which eliminates falling out or refraction.
- The rubber compound remains effective at sub-zero temperatures.
- Easy control in force majeure situations.
- Strong and durable products.
- The same quality ride in any weather.
- Maximum safety in harsh environments.
- Comfortable ride.
- Movement safety is guaranteed by Japanese technology using walnut shells.
- On a snowy road, speed is slowly picking up.
- Difficulties of movement on winding icy roads, skidding occurs.
- On dry pavement, tire grip deteriorates.
- Sometimes the spikes fall off.
- Good cornering results on snow.
- Passability of snow cover and ice at a height.
- Reliable grip.
- Confident braking on snowy and icy roads.
- Vehicle control.
- Confident driving in deep snow.
- Vehicle control on steep slopes.
- Number of standard sizes 97.
- Speed index – T.
- Load capacity – 615 kg.
- Tread depth – 9mm.
- Number of lines 24.
- Wheel diameter 13 – 20.
Continental VancoIceContact – for trucks
Tires for trucks, commercial vehicle vans, heavy duty vans, minibuses.
A feature of the products is controllability on packed snow, the surface includes a symbol of passing through the snow – a mountain and a snowflake. Winter tires are recommended.
At the heart of rubber manufacturing is Salmon Stairs technology, the tread bites into the snow. The tires are equipped with Brilliant studs with pointed edges, a long grip edge, and a dense mesh of sipes.
Moving on the ice surface is characterized by increased efficiency. The coupling edge is elongated, so resistance increases, handling improves.
The slats are arranged crosswise, deep. Multiple edges increase the grip of the rubber and the road.
- Wear resistance of materials.
- Copes with climbing slopes, hills.
- The lateral stability of the tire guarantees improved cornering performance.
- Driving safety in winter conditions.
- Sometimes the spikes become loose, fall off (at increased loads).
- There are difficulties with driving on an asphalt surface.
- Noise when driving on asphalt.
- Brilliant studs provide better braking compared to round studs.
- Hydroplaning resistance.
- Moderate handling in deep snow.
- Reliable grip in snow and ice.
- Diameter – 16.
- Width 225 mm.
- Season winter.
- Speed index – R.
- Load index 112.
- The protector is a directional pattern.
- Type – studded.