Based on what criteria to choose the best sewing machine for home use? A comparative table of three models and recommendations for choosing will help you decide on the class of the device and the main characteristics for comfortable work.
How to choose a sewing machine for your home
There is no one size fits all sewing machine.
Before buying, it is important to determine the criteria for a sewing machine and the purposes for which it will be used.
- Skill level. If you are new to sewing, buying an automatic sewing machine with a huge number of settings is not justified, since you will not use most of these functions and get confused in setting up programs.
If you are already an experienced seamstress, such a machine will help further develop your skills and abilities.
- Budget. The cost of sewing machines varies widely from cheap mechanical models to expensive computerized devices. Determine how much you are willing to pay for a sewing machine to narrow down your search.
- A task. Think about what you will sew. Maybe you need a machine for specific purposes: overcasting buttonholes or hemming fabric? Some machines are specifically designed for quilting, embroidery, monogramming.
For standard sewing, a straight stitch and zigzag will suffice. Automatic machines do one to two hundred stitches, which look nice, but consider whether you will use it.
- Flexibility in stitch size settings. Consider independently selecting the length and width of the stitch – this will provide a large number of different combinations of the same kind of stitch.
A good choice is a stitch width adjustable from 0 to 7 mm with a stitch length of 0-5 mm.
- Additional accessories. Different types of presser feet will expand the functionality of the sewing machine, allowing you to make buttonholes, sew in zippers and sew specific types of seams.
Make sure these accessories are available for purchase separately in case of a breakdown.
Machine weight and size. Some sewing machines are heavy, so consider storing and using them.
Compact models are lighter, but limited in features and provide a smaller workspace.
Frequency of use. A quality sewing machine will increase interest in sewing and encourage regular use.
Mechanical sewing machines are designed for daily use. This does not mean that there are no reliable automatic machines, but it will take more time to search.
- Fabric type. Think about what type of fabric you intend to use more often. Most home sewing machines can handle light fabrics and suiting fabrics, but can be problematic when sewing knitwear or heavy fabrics like drape and leather.
Fabric Type – Sewing Machine Functions
Delicate delicate fabrics. You will need an adjustable presser foot, which will reduce the risk of puffs on the fabric. For smooth movement, use the Teflon coated foot. To work, you need thin needles.
Thick fabrics. Needs a long stitch. Consider machines with a variable stitch size option and a sufficient presser foot height.
Portier fabrics. An additional table will expand the working space for comfortable work with large products.
Knitwear. The machine must have a special function and appropriate accessories for working with stretchy fabrics.
When buying a sewing machine, consider the presence of the following features, they will greatly facilitate the work in the future.
Option to create buttonholes. Sewing machines create buttonholes in one or four steps. In basic models, you set the setting for each step yourself, computer models make a buttonhole in one step without the need to turn the fabric.
In addition, the buttonhole size can be programmed and memorized to produce a series of identical buttonholes. Buttonholes vary in style, such as round or square ends.
Submission of material. Special metal teeth under the needle lower and rise – pay attention to this option if you are going to embroider or sew from thick material that needs to be fed manually.
The Reinforcement Stitch feature prevents the stitching from unraveling at the beginning and end of a seam.
Presser foot. In addition to the universal foot, additional types of presser feet are available for different functions.
Twin needle and additional spool holder will be needed if you are going to use double stitching.
Threading system. If you are a beginner, note how easy it is to thread.
Pay attention to the choice of types of lines, the width and length of the stitch, which are necessary specifically for your tasks.
Make sure the machine provides enough space under the presser foot to comfortably work with thick seams or bulky fabrics.
What can be ignored
Some features can be ignored as they increase the cost of the machine, but are a matter of convenience rather than functionality.
Shuttle. Some machines automatically fill the bobbin in the hook without removing the top thread. The panel covering the hook is sometimes made transparent – it is so easy to control the filling of the bobbin.
However, these features are optional.
Additional table-attachment and platform for sleeves expand the working space for tailoring products of a specific size and shape. However, you can do without them.
knee lifter Raises and lowers the presser foot without using your hands, which is useful when sewing large items, but is not an essential part when sewing.
Number of line types. Essentially, 3 types of stitch will suffice for normal work: a straight stitch for standard seams, a zigzag for overcasting, and a buttonhole for creating buttonholes. The rest you probably won’t use.
Overview of the three best sewing machines
Three best models of home sewing machines have been selected for review: Janome 2212 and Singer Stylist 7258 electromechanical and Brothers Innov-is NV1800Q computerized.
Janome 2212 is the best electromechanical machine for beginners. Reliable, durable, unpretentious model with basic functions.
This model is suitable for beginners with simple sewing projects such as clothes, linens, accessories, crafts and those who are afraid of getting lost in the advanced capabilities of modern digital machines.
The machine is popular because of its durability and efficiency. Despite the basic functions available, Janome 2212 helps to create professional products.
The durable machine is able to work without problems with a minimum of maintenance and regular cleaning of the hook from dust.
The Janome 2212 is capable of sewing 12 stitches and four step buttonholes. The function selector with stitch width setting is easy to turn to the desired position. With a gear feed of fabric, the machine is universal for most types of fabrics.
This model guarantees quality tailoring, which is rare among mechanical sewing machines. All functions and basic options are easy to use and allow you to operate the machine effortlessly.
In its class, this model is optimal in terms of price combined with quality. Ideal for home use, for beginners in sewing, but also useful for experienced seamstresses who prefer ease of use with a basic set of functions.
Janome 2212 features:
- front loading shuttle;
- 12 types of lines;
- foldable carrying handle;
- manual control of fabric tension;
- built-in thread breaker;
- stitch length adjustable up to 4 mm;
- zigzag width adjustable up to 5 mm;
- vertical and retractable coil holders;
- bobbin winder;
- reverse stitch length adjustable from 0 to 2.5 mm;
- incandescent lamp to illuminate the work area.
- 9 presser feet;
- accessories – a set of needles, a small screwdriver, shuttle spools, a foot for sewing in zippers, a control pedal, a foot for a blind seam, a foot for buttonholes, a seam ripper, a soft protective cover;
Pluses Janome 2212:
- ease of choosing settings;
- light weight of the machine;
- easy to apply;
- a budget option;
- strong and reliable model;
- can be used for light and dense fabrics.
Cons Janome 2212:
the number of built-in lines is limited to 12 types;
no automatic control;
manual threading of the needle.
Customer reviews about the model are positive: it is suitable for small household items, sews with any thread, easy to operate, even a beginner can handle it.
The build quality, soft running and small size of the machine, convenient for home storage, are noted. The price is also of no small importance, which makes this model popular among mechanical sewing machines for home use.
Of the negative qualities, the difficulty of working with thick fabrics and the lack of an automatic needle threader stand out.
Singer stylist 7258
[profitprice]Singer stylist 7258[/profitprice]
Singer Stylist 7258 is the best electromechanical machine in terms of price / quality ratio. This productive sewing machine is suitable for both beginners to replenish their experience in sewing, and experienced seamstresses.
The model provides the necessary functions for tailoring, embroidery, creating quilts and home decor items.
The Singer Stylist 7258 offers 100 stitch patterns for all types of sewing including apparel, bed linen, product stitch, craft, craft and home sewing.
This variety will allow you to show your creativity and satisfy the most demanding seamstresses. Quiet, light, small but strong machine, stable operation of which allows you not to worry about adjusting the thread tension control.
The Singer Stylist 7258 is renowned for its thoughtful functional interface and overall sewing quality. The machine automatically raises the needle when you take your foot off the pedal to avoid breaking the needle if you forget to raise it before removing the fabric.
The model is equipped with a backlit LCD screen that shows the width and length of the stitch before sewing.
The automatic threading device is easy to use, takes little time, and has a built-in thread breaker. The bobbin is easily loaded into the hook, the transparent cover allows you to monitor the level of winding thread in the bobbin.
There are buttons for automatic fastening of the line, reverse stitch. The electronic autopilot function helps the user to sew without using the foot controller while adjusting the sewing speed.
The presser foot is fixed at two heights. For such a variety of functions, the machine is quite inexpensive in price.
The body of the machine has space for storing accessories to keep the items you need close at hand. When a stitch is selected, the machine beeps to confirm that the selected options have taken effect.
The automatic stitch selection panel makes it easy to switch between decorative stitches. The machine comes with a DVD with a tutorial.
Singer Stylist 7258 features:
- 100 built-in types of lines;
- 10 feet for various purposes: standard foot, zipper foot, blind stitch foot, buttonhole foot, satin stitch foot, darning and embroidery foot, overcasting foot, gathering foot;
- accessories – a set of machine needles, 3 bobbins, a ripper, a cleaning brush, a screwdriver, a hole puncher, an additional
- coil rod;
- automatic reel winding – the reel stops rotating when it is full.
- software control for raising and lowering the needle;
- 7 types of automatic one-step sewing of loops;
- speed control;
- automatic needle threader;
- automatic presser foot pressure;
- 6-level fabric feed mechanism with lever;
Backlit LCD screen shows error codes when problems occur;
- automatic thread tension;
- sewing with a double needle;
- extension table for large projects;
- built-in carrying handle;
- DVD with user manual;
- durable metal body.
Pros of Singer Stylist 7258:
- the machine is fully automated;
- wide choice of types of a line;
- sewing using a double needle is allowed;
- effective thread tension device;
- detailed instructions;
- easy to use;
- additional accessories.
Cons of Singer Stylist 7258:
- the presser foot pressure is automatic and cannot be adjusted as desired;
- stitch width is limited to 6 mm;
- the plastic pedal may not be durable.
The Singer Stylist 7258 has a lot of positive user reviews, which qualifies it as a sewing machine with the best performance and exceptional design.
Customer reviews vary from restrained to enthusiastic, which is explained by the great functionality at an affordable price. There is a smooth running of the machine when performing stitching and ease of operation.
Detailed user instructions and stitching quality are appreciated. Heavy metal base allows you to work steadily with large products.
Brothers Innov-is NV1800Q
[profitprice]Brothers Innov-is NV1800Q[/profitprice]
Brothers Innov-is NV1800Q is the best computer controlled machine. This full size model includes 232 built-in stitches, touch controls and an LCD screen.
The My Stitch function allows you to create your own decorative stitch designs and store them in the machine’s memory. Side feed allows you to create stitches up to 40 mm in four directions.
The new drive system smoothly advances fabrics of arbitrary thickness. The sewing speed is regulated by a special slider on the panel. Raising and lowering the presser foot is done by pressing a button, there is a button for automatic back-tacking.
Features Brothers Innov-is NV1800Q:
- device for sewing in a circle;
- a special foot with a side knife provides an overlock stitch and a finished look of the seam;
- the foot pedal has 4 functions: secures the stitch at the beginning or end of the line, cuts the thread, makes a single stitch, understands or lowers the foot;
- Optional bobbin attachment helps with ribbons and ribbons that don’t go through the eye of the needle.
- set of 5 sewing feet for sewing in zippers, stitches, sewing in a cord, attaching a ribbon, hemming fabric.
- Additional paws for tucks, knotted seam, blind seam;
- needle plate for a perfectly even stitch;
- automatic thread tension adjustment;
- table-attachment for tailoring large items;
LCD screen and touch control panel;
- knee lifter for raising and lowering the presser foot without the help of hands;
- automated needle threading;
- automatic pressure control of the presser foot with a sensor depending on the thickness of the fabric;
- illumination of the working area;
- 10 types of automatic loops;
- 232 stitch types;
- 5 built-in fonts for monogramming, including Cyrillic and Japanese characters.
Advantages of Brothers Innov-is NV1800Q:
- nice design is easy to understand and use;
- the length and width of the stitch is selected in small steps and gives accurate measurements for both parameters;
- there is a function to create your own type of line from a sketch;
- the LCD screen is clear and easy to read;
- easy setting of combining and saving stitches, as well as returning to the previous state;
- a huge number of types of lines.
Cons Brothers Innov-is NV1800Q:
- the machine is quite large, you will need to allocate storage space;
- quite heavy, difficult to carry from place to place;
- sensitive touch panel, you can accidentally touch your hand and knock down the setting right while sewing;
- pre-set thread tension may seem tight for base materials;
- difficult to work with knitted material.
In general, the machine is quite large and heavy. This model is suitable for experienced seamstresses for large projects. The main criticism of the model relates to its high cost, although it is noted that the machine “does everything it needs and even more.”
Comparison table of sewing machines
The main characteristics of the three models of the best sewing machines are shown in the table.
|Parameter||Janome 2212||Singer stylist 7258||Brothers
|Maximum speed (number of stitches per minute)||860||750||850|
|Number of lines||12||one hundred||232|
|Maximum stitch size (mm)||4-5||6||40|
|Automatic needle threader||Not||Yes||Yes|
Which sewing machine to buy
The answer to this question depends on the tasks, but in general, you will have to choose from three types of sewing machines:
Mechanical sewing machines. Devices of this class have a limited set of basic functions with a small variety of lines. They are used for sewing light and medium weight fabrics.
The needle is driven by a flywheel that spins mechanically. This class of machines is inferior in convenience and functionality to automatic sewing machines.
Machines with electromechanical control. The electric drive regulates the movement of the needle, providing a deep and stable movement, a constant sewing speed and better stitch control.
The drive is controlled by a foot pedal, so that both hands are free – it is convenient to guide the fabric through the feed mechanism. These machines usually have an on/off button and an LCD screen that displays the selected stitch sizes.
They are more expensive than mechanical models, but offer a greater variety of built-in stitches and additional features, such as special feet for sewing zippers, creating buttonholes and sewing delicate fabrics.
The best in this class are Janome 2212 for beginners and Singer Stylist 7258 for experienced.
Computerized sewing machines control the work with the help of a microprocessor, which programs the machine for the selected type of stitch and performs automatic control of the thread tension. Such models have a touch control panel.
In addition to the traditional functions inherent in other classes, computerized models provide advanced opportunities for working with patterns, memorizing new stitches, downloading designs via the Internet.
Stitch selection is simplified as the stitch size and thread tension are set automatically. Sewing machines such as the Brothers Innov-is NV1800Q are recommended for creative advanced users.